In
the coursework there are ten behavioral guidelines defined to help with supportive
communication as a leader. My reflection blog is to discuss these guidelines
within my current leadership role and project results by using the behavior
guidelines that work for me as a leader.
The
first behavioral guideline is centered on the difference between coaching and
counseling. In my current role I provide support to 23 control account
managers, where my efforts focus more on coaching than counseling. I provide
directions on how to schedule work, and suggested approaches to managing scheduled
tasks. I also provide advance advice of cause and effect if they take a particular step, which has a
potential negative or positive ending. Example would be if they scheduled a
task to be completed on a specific day and they chose to postpone the task,
then there is a delay in schedule, which could possible effect down stream
complications. I also do an ample amount
of counseling by outlining “problem recognition” to prevent the undesired
outcome. However, using the same type of counseling, I can use the undesired
outcome to train to prevent the same outcome in the future.
The
next behavior guideline is being able to communicate congruently or ensuring
emotions and actions are aligned. As a
leader you want to make sure the verbal information that is being distributed
is not misunderstood by non-verbal body language, as this can be conflicting or
misleading. An example in my workplace, I have a very bad uncontrolled body
language of rolling my eyes. I was not aware of this body language until my
manager told me, which was embarrassing to hear. I had no idea that I did this
in meetings, and was leaving the idea to others that I did not care about the
topic or them. After I was told this, I continuously work on ensuring I am not
rolling my eyes in a conversation. There are other types of body language that
I feel I can work on such as the eye stare when someone is telling me
something, or the fake grin that allows others to know you are at least
listening, but completely uninterested in the conversation. I have had to work
on these behavioral issues as often I don’t know I am even doing it. Slowing
down to focus more on others allows me to be better prepared to not roll my
eyes or stare of confusion.
The
next behavior guideline that works for me is communicating that problems are
problem oriented and not people oriented. After spending twenty years in the
military, when there was a problem the leaders automatically want to know who
did it, verses what caused it. I had a really good program manager a few years back
make a statement that most issues are caused either by a person, process, or a
tool. I like the analogy and even use it today, because it makes sense.
Although people design processes and tools, it doesn’t mean is caused by
people. As a leader, I tend to be objective and do research prior to
communicating information.
The
last behavioral guideline I would like to discuss is to own your statements,
and encouraging other to do this as well. I have experienced situations where
conversations were bad and the blaming game was in great force, and sadly this
was within the last decade at my current company. It sad sometimes when you
work with some extremely intellectual leaders who lose control when they are
under pressure. I have learned that being honest to those who you lead, whether
its good or bad, I tend to get better support and respect. I have also learned
that when you are able to stand up and take accountability in front of your
peers, you gain even more respect. The hardest part as a leader is when I hear
other individual state that management is the driving force to change, or
something occurred because of management. My approach is often supportive by
telling those that I lead that management had a meeting, and I agree with the
decision before giving out the information. This approach provides the team
with confidence that I am involved with whatever the decision was, and offer
the opportunity for them to provide feedback.
Although,
there are ten behavior guidelines to supportive communication, there are just a
few that I think I do good as a leader. There are always areas of improvements
such as being specific in my leadership communication as it personalizes to the
team as well. The one value of this
blog, am I found myself conducting a self-awareness identifying some major
areas where I could improve. In the end, supportive communication in my opinion
requires respect and honesty.
No comments:
Post a Comment